Friday, March 16, 2007

Trip Report: Day 2, The Final Session

Now I go down to the final information position Mess Deck (Tables), which is on the opposite side to Mess Deck (Hammocks). Visitors come through from the fire hearth, stop here, and then go onto the hammocks. It was 4 pm, only one visitor came through while I was here.

Mess Deck


Here 50 (the cards says; everything else says 65, hmm 94 total on board, which is 6 commissioned officers, 15 warrant officers, 53 able seamen, 12 marines, 9 gentlemen & servants, 1 astronomer & servant, that's 97) men ate, six at each table, sitting on the sea chests, which they'd used to store their belongings. Each man had to supply his own spoon, mug and bowl. Many of these were made from wood, although there was some pewter and pottery. Each month they'd elect a 'Captain of the Mess' who was responsible for taking their food up to be cooked.

Mess Deck


The fore table here has stuff for the cook to use. The rear table was used by the marines. The barrels over the tables held vinegar. You can see over here where where the sailmaker has been working.

Mess Deck


That's taken with no flash. Where the grating is above, it's well light. Along the sides, it's obviously darker.

Looking down through the grate...

From above


From here, I go back to the midi-mates mess. Do you think I need the card now? I do, but only because I forget some of the names.

At 5 pm, I'm finally outside, off the ship actually -- the onshore side of the gangway. The ship is open until 6 pm, but no visitors are allowed on after 5 pm. So there's not a lot to do here. If there's anything cloaked, I have to get it out when that visitor leaves, but there's not. I take some photos.

Stern carvings


Endeavour has no figurehead, but some lovely stern carvings. Unfortunately, there's a fence across the wharf so you can't be behind to see all of them. This is the side window of the great cabin.

Port holes


I find the little things like doors, locks and portholes interesting.

At 5.30, I move to the other end of the gangway. Although we sort of wander around and talk. See off the last of the visitors. Take more photos.

Towards foredeck


Looking across the waist towards the foredeck.

From foredeck


Back the other way. You can see the gangway there.

From foredeck, starboard side


Same direction, starboard side.

Coils


Then it's down below to sign in the vests, and that's it for the day.

I stop in at a place that offers Internet for 5 minutes. Wander over to Subway and get a foot long sandwich, of which I eat half once I'm back at the hotel. I watch some TV. Take some photos, of the cement train and the ferry.

Spirit & train


Cement train


The ferry, it's II tonight, leaves before it's dark so I take some photos. They're actually the ones I used for the first night, of it turning. It's a bit closer when it comes back down.

Spirit of Tasmania II leaving


Then I go to bed, and sleep.

No comments: